01-11-2010 12:05 AM
Ok, so once more I have question due to inconsistent or unexpected behavior of the BlackArmor backup software.
So I have a small backup project, that is only about 2 MB total. I back this project up fairly frequently.
When I originally started the project I figured the automatic consolidation option would be a good idea.
I set it to consolidate after creating 10 backups. Very little reason for me to ever require a backup older than 10 versions ago.
Of course with my BlackArmor software experience thus far, I wanted to test this out to see how the consolidation works ---before I commit to a huge project of 100GB+ which would take a very long time to deal with.
I made lots of consecutive backups ..."Backup1", "Backup2", "Backup3" ..."Backup10".
Then I made "Backup11" which did initiate a consolidation task as expected.
HOWEVER, now that I've hit my consolidation limit two things have happened:
1) When I use BlackArmor discovery to map the drive, I see the entire project archive has been basically duplicated. So all my original "Backups..." now have a similarly named counterpart, only the new files have these long ID strings or something. So there's "Backup11 390238-34039403943420394" or something like that (I'm making up that number, I don't have access to the drive right at this moment).
2) The real issue: Ok, I don't mind if there are possibly system files generated by the consolidation process. Maybe that's what's going on in #1 above. BUT now when I try to backup this project I get an error saying "Cannot Find Volume 8" and it gives the option to browse. And guess what!? Browsing does no good --even when I specify the volume 8 location, BlackArmor still errors out.
I chose a consolidation option for my backup project. Once that threshold had been achieved, it indeed initiated some kind of consolidation. This in turn seems to have created a duplicate set of cryptically named files. And now my backup project cannot find a specific volume, no matter what I do.
As it stands, Consolidating my project has instead broken my project....
07-24-2012 05:56 PM
I know this is a crusty old thread but yeah. Me too. My backups seem to be USELESS because of the horrible terrible "Black Armor" (aka obsolete and unsupported Acronis) software.
My backups would mostly complete fine except for the consolidations which would hang demanding user intervention to find one of the Backup1-2-3 files. No reason whatsoever that the software couldn't write or find or create or anythying else that file but it would hang with no option in the end but shutting it down. I still assumed a failed consolidation would mean "OK the remaining files are all good just haven't been consolidated because that failed".
Seems all my time and effort invested in using BlackArmor software to backup my system is a waste of time.
And that doesn't even touch a separate issue which is that the recovery disks won't work with a BIOS RAID0 system as is shipped on many Dells/Sonys/etc. now... but that's what we get for using a re-branded obsolete version of software I guess (aka Seagate B-A instead of up to date Acronis...)