Bit of an odd one, this. I've got a new 750GB SATA disk (model number ST3750330AS) which is reporting its model number as ST3_INVALID_PFM. Here are the facts:
In one machine, which uses a Silicon Image 3114 PCI SATA controller, the drive is reported as being ST3_INVALID_PFM by the controller's BIOS screen, which then freezes.
On another machine, using the onboard controller (it's an MSI K8N Neo4-F - not sure what it uses), the drive works fine. However, XP reports it as being a ST3_INVALID_PFM in it's found new hardware popup, and even SeaTools reporst its model number as being such.
The SI 3114 controller does work with other, smaller drives, so it isn't completely broken. What I can't establish at the moment is whether the ST3_INVALID_PFM weirdness has anything to do with the controller failing to work with the disk.
So, does anyone know what this ST3_INVALID_PFM business is all about? I suspect I've got an RMA in my future one way or another.
I have exactly the same issue - ST3_INVALID_PFM in BIOS/Windows. The disk is working fine in Windows, but HDTune shows 8mb of cache instead of 32mb and latency more than 12s instead of 4.16s (from the specifications).
Disk data: 7200.11 ST3750330AS, S/N: 9QK01XH2, Firmware version: SD04.
My ST31000340AS was recogniced by the BIOS of the Promise Controller and by the Promise Disk Controller Manager as ST3_INVALID_PFM.
So I flashed the harddisk BIOS update as mentioned above. That was not so easy, because a floppy drive is needed. I know about DVD drives und USB sticks, but what is a floppy drive ? Ok, I found one in a box with old computer parts :-)
Harddisk info before the update:
Model name: ST3_INVALID_PFM S/N: 9QJ011KY Firmware: SD04
Harddisk info after the update:
Model name: ST31000340AS S/N: 9QJ011KY Firmware: AD14
The data on the harddisk is untouched, but that's not garanteed by Seagate.
I just picked up these 750's at newegg, and both drives have firmware issues.
Called Seagate, got the firmware AD14, will flash tonight on both drives. (CD iso lucky is included)
Recap of my issues.
1. 0K cache or 8meg cache shown in HDTune (seems 0K is ok, as its a interger issue rollover from 16M -> 0) 2. ATAPI-0 shows up in HDTune (Now this looks bad, ATAPI-7 should be displayed) 3. One drive is identified as ST3_INVALID_PFM
I've only had issues like this in the 386/486 days and had to low level format drives, its 2008, this is crazy. This is very bad quality control, I'm almost tempted to send them back for WD's What good is 5 year warranty if the drives go "TU", replaced with a refurbed drive, and lose my data.