02-06-2012 08:54 AM
1) I have just bought this drive for windows 7 64bit as a storrage drive and am using it in a docking station and the hard drive light is red on the dock which, according to the manual menas the hard drive is about to fail. How can i make sure this is the case and not just a glicth in windows or the docking station? I have suspictions about the drive since it does make a strange noise when spinning up for a second and i have had a BSOD or two since installing the drive and updating my intel RST drivers to 10.8 though this could be curcumstantial when i turned on the hard drive while in windows i got a BSOD.
2) The intel software says thatthe physical sectors are 4K but the logical sectors are 512; does this mean the advanced format thing is okay/everything working fine?
3) I also noticed the intel software tells me that i only have 32MB cache shouldn't it be 64?
4) What program/method should i use to DEFINITALY know that the hard drive is safe? I have ran a full format on the dirve and did quick/short tests with sea tools and HD Sentenial and found no errors
02-06-2012 04:26 PM
Hi, it might be your dock is limited to support 2TB, 3TB moves into another park regarding how it's identified etc.
What I would suggest is this, download and install HD Sentinal on your C drive, then hook the 3TB up direct with a sata cable and psu power, see what Sentinal says health wise and condition wise and report back what you find.
02-28-2012 01:41 PM
The dock is 3TB compatible, however i bought another of this drive and it is also red; so may be the dock is miscomunicating with the drive, would it be safe to use in the dock?
Can anyone comment on the "disk acessing noise". Its like when opening a folder or playing a file after the drive is asleep but this disk acess noise can occur from 1-6 times an hour all when i am not acessing the disk at all. I have set to turn off drive power in windows 7 for 120 minutes so that cannot be the reason for the noise
02-29-2012 06:53 AM
Can you link the dock model, it will be so much easier if I know what I'm looking at.
The drives themselves will go to sleep and lag waking up if an app tries to access something from it, I say lag but I mean a few seconds longer than normal if it isn't sleeping already, anyway lets have a look at this dock first before going in deeper than required.
02-29-2012 07:52 AM
1) Hear is the code for the dock SATSASBAY3BK and the website http://uk.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Hot-Swap-S
2) One other thought; i have an asus motherbaord and saw on there site forums a modded bios that is for SSD raid and 3TB drive compatability; should i install this...
02-29-2012 12:03 PM - edited 02-29-2012 12:07 PM
Dock looks great so I don't think there is any issue with that.
How old is your MB?
Model number will be helpful.
You need the rst drivers, you need diskwizard, links are in my 3TB sticky, iirc the drives if connected by usb normally show as a 3TB with 2.7TB useable, if it's showing as 2.2TB instead a GPT format should sort that out, or diskwizard will extend the drive in NTFS for you, but overall if you MB is very old it is possible it can't do a drive that size properly.
Found this, make sure you arent thinking 1 is 3
|LED Indicators||1 - Over Heating Alarm (Flashing Red - Temperature Warring, Reset sensor and alarm)|
3 - Hard Drive Indicator (Green - Power, Orange/Red Blinking - Activity)
02-29-2012 02:54 PM
Hi this is in response to the bios question. We have to look at that and the guy who made it his nick is bong and its been downloaded once. You should never install a bios that is not from your motherboard manufacture it can cause many problems like even a new motherboard needed.
03-01-2012 04:47 AM
Yeah, so right there Hammey, I forgot to mention a don't do it in my last reply, I looked at it and it looks like a bedroom effort which means it probably will only add to the problem.
03-01-2012 11:09 AM
1) my motherbaord is the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo. I have the latest BIOS 0602 and am not planning to use the modded bios after yoour suggestions
2) I have the latest RST drivers 10.8 which i installed preior to formatting in GPT, i also have the drives as one big 2.72TB partition so no issues there
3) From my use with the dock i assume that green is powered on, and then that light turns red (flickering) when the drive is being acessed; this would occurs with all other drives i have put in there. But with these 3Tb drives it is the exact opposite; it is constantly red and then flickers green when being accessed
03-02-2012 06:57 AM
Looks like green is only an idle state, the orange flashing indicates drive activity, which if you have constant activity it will remain in the orange, I've always found virtually any Seagate drive tends to be working the case light constantly, I don't think it's anything to worry about and if you are worried install HD Sentinal on the C drive so if the drive does degrade you will catch it early enough to avoid a data catastrophe.