12-07-2008 07:15 AM
I just installed a single FreeAgent Go dock with two FreeAgent Go drives for an alternating weekly backup on a Dell PowerEdge 830, running Windows XP Pro/SP2 with a Raid 1 mirror and a C and D partition. Windows and all programs are on the D drive. The C drive is just a utility partition, don't ask me why - I did not build the PC.
The FreeAgent Go drives come up as F and I only use one at a time.
Immediately after installation and before setting up any backup rules or otherwise, the following error began to appear in my Event Viewer:
* * *
"Event ID: 51"
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
* * *Any help is greatly appreciated
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-07-2008 09:40 AM
This is my 10cents/10pence worth
I have owned a Seagate Free Agent Pro using eSata connection for a year.
From day one, I have had error ID 11 and 51 shown in the event viewer!
The 40D firmware upgrade to 3.AFK made no difference. Benchmark - Buffered Reading, better at 74.93Mb/s
If your operating system is XP, this is my suggestion that appears to fix these errors.
First, set a system restore point!
Open the following path - Control panel > System > Hardware tab > View > Click "Devices by connection" Locate the FreeAgent drive, directly above this should be Primary or Secondary IDE - double click this to see properties and open Advanced settings tab, note the transfer mode and current transfer mode [mine is DMA if available and Ultra DMA mode 5] close window > double click FreeAgent Pro to see properties > Policies tab > Untick "Enable Write Caching on Disk" > Click OK
Check DMA mode again to make sure they have not altered. Cold boot and check again. If changed, uninstall the IDE channel and cold boot the PC will detect the hardware changes.
Sorry if the above appears to be obvious to some
Happily this procedure worked for me
12-08-2008 06:34 AM