01-28-2009 03:51 PM
I originally purchased (about 2weeks ago) 2 Freeagent Desk 1500 GB drives. One I connected to my wifes XP computer and did the set-up and used automatic back-up and it worked great and is still working fine. I then connected the second drive to my Vista computer and did the set-up installation and did the auto back-up. After about 9 hours it still was not finished and I watched and it was not doing anything but the case was really hot. After waiting about 2 more hours (actually checking it in the morning) I determined it must be done. Nothing had changed the same blinking numbers remained. I stopped the process. I checked and all files were listed and the back up seemed okay, but the case was still hot. I then tried to open a file folder and I got the message it was empty. Frustrated I closed it and shut down my computer and waited for the drive to cool down. After about 4 hours I started the computer and then looked at the files on the Freeagent. All files were there and I could open them and review, but I heard clicking and after about 5 minutes the hard drive was hot again and all folders were giving the message empty.
I then contacted Seagate support using the chat and after several chat messages the response was to download the Segate Tools for Windows and run the Generic long term test. It took about 7 hours and the test status was failed. I chatted again and was informed to return it and exchange it. I discovered if I used ice packs (the type used in cold six pack carriers) one on the bottom and one on the top of the drive worked fine and I was able to move files back to another 500 GB hard drive. So I returned it and exchange for another. The new one would not do the back up completely - message said back up done, but only about 4 GB had been backed up. The Freeagent icon was not right and this one did not get hot or overheated. I have been trying to contact Seagate for 2 days and they are closed due to bad weather. The dilemma is my wifes hard drive is working fine but I am skeptical as to if it will crash at some time. I could take mine back and get another and try again, hopefully the third will work. After reading the forum messages I am not too secure about continuing. Basically they are for backing up. Any thought out there?