10-20-2008 10:57 PM
I just purchased the above drive and have been unable to install the drive. When I connect the drive the following happens:
1. Get the found new hardware balloon which shows FreeAgent. Description changes to "USB Mass Storage Device" then back to FreeAgent. Ballon disappears and Found New Hardware Wizard Launches.
2. Allowing the wizard to install the hardware automatically results in the following error: Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware..FreeAgent An error occurred during the installation of this device. The Data is invalid.
3. In device manager the drive shows as an unknown device with the name free agent. Right clicking the device and reviewing properties Device Status shows Error Code 1 The Device is not configured correctly.
4. Reviewing driver details results in the following message "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
5. Clicking the details tab the following is in the Device Instance Id USB\VID_0BC2&PID_3001\2GEV26CS
6. Selecting Update Driver gets the install Wizard again.
7. Device cannot be uninstalled or disabled as it was never installed.
It is important to note while the drive is lit up...power on the drive never runs.
I have run CHKDSK and SFC /SCANNOW and get the same results. I followed the procedure in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for this error KB810882. with the same results after completing the procedure. I did connect the drive to another PC the same model E-Machines T2885 with Windows XP Home SP2 and the drive connected immediately so I know there is no problem with the drive. I copied the driver.cab file from that machine and again completed the steps in the above Knowledge Base article with the same results.
Short of doing a complete system restore and losing everything any suggestions. As the drivers are installed on the drive itself Seagate does not offer the drivers for download.
10-22-2008 06:19 AM
I was going to suggest that you connect the drive to a 2nd PC, but you already did that.
And it showed that the problem is with the computer.
Connect the drive and then right-click on the drive in the Device Manager, do Uninstall. Reboot the computer.
Maybe it will come back and work.
If not, connect it again, go find the USB Root Hub that it's connected to (double-click on it one by one, check the Power tab and it will tell you what device is connected), right-click, Uninstall, reboot.
If no, only thing I know to do is to do an OS repair. Make sure you disconnect ALL external storage devices before you do an OS repair.