04-15-200801:55 AM - last edited on 04-16-200802:23 AM by SalA
Like a lot of others hereabouts, I've had problems ....using a Freeagent Pro 500 Gb to expand the storage on my laptop, running Vista Home Premium, the USB interface worked fine but the eSATA interface refused to play ball. The laptop could not see the drive when connected in this way.
Now it's working, and the speed is really good.
Part 1 of the solution: make sure you have a good cable connection. See my previous post at
for more details. This is, I think, a mistake by whoever designed the interface module in the drive base.
Part 2 - I must emphasise that this part of the problem is not Seagate's fault. All that was needed was make sure I had the right driver for my interface module. I'll give the details below - they are specific to my system, but may be of use to someone else. All I can say is, this combination works.
The module is an Express Card Adapter, manufactured by Apiotek, part no EC-0003S - see
One more thing - when you delete the old driver, if you then insert the Express Card, Windows Vista will very likely detect the "new" hardware and put the same old driver back again. (Don't you just want to bang your head against a wall sometimes?)
Better to delete the old driver then run the "Setup" program in the downloaded zip file...
Finally, honourable mention must go to Marcus S. of Seagate support in Ireland, and Sebastian L. of Secure Living Ltd of Northampton,UK for helping me with this problem.
Here's a rough answer for now. When I get the chance, I'll make some proper measurements and post them on the thread.
Before - I had USB functionality only. I installed a product called "VFR real Scenery for SouthWest England" (a flight simulator add-on) containing 12 Gb of data, all to go on the FreeAgent Drive. It took almost 6 hours to install.
After - now I have eSATA functionality too. Using the same laptop as before, I installed 3 more products from the same manufacturer (VFR real scenery for other parts of England) onto the same FreeAgent Drive They were 12Gb, 12Gb and 10Gb in size. I then installed FS Global 2008 (13GB). Together these 4 additional products took a further 6 hours to install.
OK - I know this is not a good test. An installation procedure involves a lot more than pure disk I/O.
But - a jump from 12 Gb in 6 hours, to 47 Gb in the same time, gives me a good feeling.