04-19-2012 06:44 PM
I purchased the GoFlex Satellite back in January but have not really had the occassion to use it until recently when I began loading movies, tv shows and music on the device for an extended trip.
Since I've started trying to use the GFS I've been running into a myriad of issues...
* 22,000 songs appears to take forever to index
* after a TV episode completes my iPad will drop back to the main GFS App screen and then drop WiFI connection, after.every.episode, upon which I have to shut down the iPad App and reset the GFS (just shutting down the App does not work nor does resetting the GFS alone..I seem to have to do both)
* I've received error messages when reconnecting the GFS to my Win 7 machine about corrupt files even though I've always ejected the drive properly within Windows.
* the GFS does not always reset properly (hold power for 15 seconds) and sometimes will just shut down instead of resetting
* when attached to a power source for charging I can't tell if the stupid thing is charging or not...the charge sequence needs to be a flashing light instead of amber/red. There are times I'd swear the light is red when it should be charging...
Some of the above issues seem to be less prevelant when using the 8player App from the App Store, which would seem to indicate that at least some of the above is software related.
I purchased the 16Gb iPad 3 anticipating being able to use the GFS...now I'm wondering if I should try something else and steer clear of Seagate products going forward.
04-19-2012 11:17 PM
04-20-2012 09:07 PM
I scrubbed the music of all non-embedded artwork while transferring it over by using a third-party sync tool to just move the actual audio directories and files over. I now realize that 22k songs will take much longer to index than anticipated; however my other issues (especially connectivity issues) persist.
05-05-2012 05:16 PM
I have had the same type of problem with my ipad2 and the GFS.
Only happend after the recent update to the app.
iPhone app performs fine though.
Thought it may have been the GFS device itself, returned it to supplier who swapped it but does exactly same thing on the new one.
When will Seagate release another up date to solve the many issues ?
05-06-2012 11:26 AM
05-20-2012 01:23 AM
This seems to be worst bit of technology I've ever purchased
Copy file from my pc to it . slow then .it stops everything USELESS
Forget playback on the Ipad
I bought it for the latest ipad 3 32gb to use on a a trip and went with the "Seagate" name
Does anyone at Seagate ever read these forums?
IF so do something!!
I would ACTIVELY advise people NEVER to buy let alone try to use it.
It does not do what it was designed to do.
05-20-2012 09:46 AM - edited 05-20-2012 09:47 AM
I’m afraid to say that I've been having similar experiences to leighbutler by the sounds of things.
At present the device is completly unusable to me.
I've exchanged a lot of emails with Seagate tech support, who have been polite and offered lots of basic suggestions (press the reset button, have you upgraded the firmware, reformat and start again) none of which have made any difference to the nature of the problems. Now they're telling me to get the thing exchaged, which I guess I'll do, though I don't think the device is faulty - just that the firmware and software are obviously not up to the job. Especially when very large numbers of mp3 files are involved.
I don't really believe that Seagate can have stess tested the thing with very large libraies, or they surely would have picked this stuff up.
05-20-2012 01:18 PM
I've given up using the GFS for music files...takes entirely too long to index.
Currenlty I am using mine exclusively for video files - Movies, TV shows, Music Videos.
My GFS is about half full and is [i][mostly/i] working although it is far from being a reliable stable product.
For short weekend trips I don't even bother with the GFS...the iPad CCK and a 64Gb SD card and I've got about 30 movies that fit in the palm of my hand.
06-23-2012 05:40 AM
I am having much the same problems.
1. After watching a video or movie for a while, the WiFi network will usually hang. The light is on saying that the wifi network is up, but none of my devices (notably iPhone 4s and iPad (3)) can connect to it. A quasi way forward is a reset. But that has been followed by hanging fairly soon, so its pretty useless for watching the video. I have had *some* success watching 45 minute TV shows - i.e. *sometimes* this has worked fine - but its not reliable.
2. Cannot switch the device off with the off button. Have to press the button for 15 seconds which (I take it) produces a reset. Even that's not entirely reliable: have to do it two or three times sometimes.
From reading the posts, it seems highly likely these problems are related to the firmware upgrade. Pretty appalling that Seagate are selling a product that performs so poorly. In the Apple ecosystem, in particular, this stands out as a demonstration of very poor quality assurance. Am trying to decide whether to hang onto my GFS, waiting for a firmware (+ software) fix, or whether simply to demand a refund because its performance is so far from what's promised.