10-04-2008 04:04 AM
My Maxtor one touch 4 is giving me the error message "J:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." when i try and open it. i've tried changing the owner properties and also unistalling and reinstalling the driver on my computer. I have vista by the way. I plugged it into my friend's laptop, windows xp, and it is working fine for him. I tried running seatools but it was unable to access my driv. to clarify, the drive is connected and shows up my my computer, however i can not acces it. i can open up the properties and edit the security for it but can not view how much of the drive is full. Any help would be much apriciated.
10-06-2008 11:29 AM
10-06-2008 11:50 AM
so i did a google search of the title of your link with vista instead and i found a site which instructed me how to do it. Problem solved, thanks for the help.
First you will need to access an elevated command prompt, to do this:
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click All Programs.
3. Go into Accessories.
4. Right-click on Command Prompt.
5. Select Run as administrator.
6. When the UAC Prompt appears, click Continue.
Once you have your elevated command prompt, follow these steps:
For our example, we are going to use the Bubbles screensaver file (Bubbles.scr)
1. At the command prompt, input takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\windows\system32\Bubbles.scr).
2. Press Enter on the keyboard.
3. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.
4. Now input icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f (icacls c:\windows\system32\Bubbles.scr /grant shamanstears:f).
5. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.
You will now be able to modify or replace the file. When you are done, simply remove the permissions to keep the file secure.
(Contributed by shamanstears on http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/vista_how_to_t